Saturday, February 22, 2014

People of India

Visiting India after thirteen years was an amazing experience! I hardly had any previous memories, except that of my house and school from when I left at the age of eleven. I went back with low expectations. To my surprise though, every part of my trip went above and beyond what I was expecting. 


I visited five major cities in 13 days; Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Kochi, and Bangalore. Obviously, I met a lot of people! Some people made me feel happy. My cousins who could hardly walk thirteen years ago, were all grown up and going to college. My aunts and uncles had grown old, yet they hadn't changed much. They still loved me and cared for me like I was a little kid. 

However, some people and their way of living saddened me. Such as our tour guide in Delhi, female construction workers in Hyderabad, security guards in Mumbai, and employees of our resort in Kochi. At first, looking at them made me feel like they weren't happy with their lives. As I got to talk to some of them and get to know them better, I realized that they are completely content. 


They are content with their lives; their income, their possessions, their jobs, and their way of life in general. This made me wonder whether or not I am content with my life. Despite having countless blessings, I complain. Do I really have a reason to? 

I think it is time I count my blessings. Care to join me? 

1 comment: